Sunday 27 December 1942
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Raffaela De Carolis and Serge July.
Commandos Strike at Dawn, directed by John Farrow, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
while Drivin' Woman by Elizabeth Pickett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 December 1942!
Which were the important events of 27 December 1942 ?
- The second day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- A bank holiday in Britain and elsewhere if 25 December or 26 December falls in the weekend.
- R.C. Saints - John the Apostle and Evangelist
- Raffaela De Carolis: Italian beauty queen, voted Miss Italy in 1962.
- Serge July: French journalist, founder of the daily Libération, director of the journal from 1976 - 2006, and a prominent figure in French politics.
- Thomas Menino: American politician, mayor of Boston.
- claus Schiprowski: .
- Byron Browne: American baseball player.
- 1st Japanese women camp (Ambarawa) goes into use
- NFL Pro Bowl: NFL All-Stars beats Washington 17-14.
- The Union of Pioneers of Yugoslavia is founded.
- DDT is first used as a pesticide.
- C. S. Lewis publishes ''The Screwtape Letters''.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?