Tuesday 22 December 1942
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Casablancas and Jerry Koosman.
Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon, directed by Roy William Neill, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
while And Now Tomorrow by Rachel Field was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 22 December 1942 ?
- R.C. Saints - commemoration of Frances Xavier Cabrini
- Spain: the main draw of Spanish National Lottery, where it is a Christmas tradition.
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Capricorn
- In the Northern Hemisphere, the winter solstice occurs on or very close to this date. In the Southern Hemisphere, the summer solstice occurs around this time.
- Also see December 22 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Japan - T?ji (winter solstice)
- John Casablancas: American-Brazilian modeling agent and scout, founded Elite Model Management, a modeling agency, in in 1972 in Paris, France.
- Jerry Koosman: American baseball player.
- Dick Parry: English saxophonist (Jokers Wild).
- Franz Boas: German-born American anthropologist of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the founder of the relativistic, culture-centred school of American anthropology that became dominant in the 20th century.
- World War II: Adolf Hitler signs the order to develop the V-2 rocket as a weapon.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1942 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Moonlight Becomes You - Glenn Miller & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?