January 1908 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1908.
The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (Liberal), Pope Pius X was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1908: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1908?
- 01 Jan 1908 1st time, ball signifying new year dropped at Times Square
- 02 Jan 1908 Canadian branch of the Royal Mint opens in Ottawa
- 07 Jan 1908 England beat Australia by one wicket at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- 09 Jan 1908 Frans Schollaert succeeds De Trooz as premier of Belgium.
- 11 Jan 1908 Grand Canyon National Monument is created.
- 12 Jan 1908 A long-distance radio message is sent from the Eiffel Tower for the first time.
- 13 Jan 1908 Stanley Cup: Montreal Wanderers sweep Ottawa Victorias in 2 games
- 14 Jan 1908 Roger Hartigan scores century on Test debut versus England Adelaide (116).
- 15 Jan 1908 C Hill and R J Hartigan make 8th wicket partnership 243 for Australia.
- 16 Jan 1908 Pinnacles National Monument, California established.
- 21 Jan 1908 New York City passes the Sullivan Ordinance, making it illegal for women to smoke in public, only to have the measure vetoed by the mayor.
- 23 Jan 1908 US and Great Britain demand end of abuses in Congo.
- 28 Jan 1908 Members of the Portuguese Republican Party fail in their attempted coup d'etat against the administrative dictatorship of Prime Minister Joao Franco.
- 29 Jan 1908 Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, at Cornell University, incorporates.
French philosopher and author (d. 1986).
Italian-French musician, one of the most...
- See more
Danish poet and dramatist (Born 1846).
dies at age 70.
dies at age 67.
dies at age 65.
- See more
Which were the top hits in January 1908?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Reinald Werrenrath - As Long as the World Rolls On
- Ada Jones & Billy Murray - Make Believe
- Frank Stanley - You
- Arthur Collins - Dixie Dan
- Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan - Who Do You Love?