Saturday 1 July 1950
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include David Duke and Gérard Kauffmann.
The Flame and the Arrow, directed by Jacques Tourneur, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Web.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1950!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1950 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- David Duke: American politician, a poster-boy for bigotry and prejudice.
- Gérard Kauffmann: French Comptroller General of the Armed Forces.
- Lost in the Stars closes at Music Box Theater NYC after 281 performances
- 1st 407 US soldiers flown to South Korea
- WHBF TV channel 4 in Rock Island, IL (CBS) begins broadcasting
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Tzena, Tzena, Tzena - Weavers (Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra)
- Mona Lisa - Victor Young & His Orchestra (Vocal Don Cherry)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?