Saturday 11 November 1950, Veteran's Day
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Otis Armstrong and Rex Samuel Sellers.
Cyrano de Bergerac, directed by Michael Gordon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while Across The River And Into The Trees by Ernest Hemingway was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Jack Benny Program.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1950!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1950 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Otis Armstrong: NFL running back (Denver Broncos).
- Rex Samuel Sellers: Auckland, New Zealand -- Tornado class yachter (1996 Olympics).
- Ed Ordynski: Australian rally driver.
- Mircea Dinescu: Romanian journalist and poet.
- Jim Peterik: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Survivor Pride of Lions and The Ides of March).
- Alexandros Diomidis: Greek banker and politician 145th Prime Minister of Greece (d. 1950).
- The Mattachine Society is founded in Los Angeles as the first gay-liberation organization.
- Colonel Carlos Delgado Chalbaud is kidnapped and murdered in Caracas.
- A Curtiss Reid Flying Services plane crashes while enroute to Paris from Rome, killing all 52 on board.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 11 November 1950
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1950 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?