Saturday 16 September 1950
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Black Rose, directed by Henry Hathaway, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1950!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1950 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- David Bellamy: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Bellamy Brothers).
- Henry Gates: Jr.
- Loyd Grossman: American-English singer guitarist and television host.
- Paula Moore: American lucky winner of the largest lottery jackpot in 25 years, $42 million on 3/17/1997, Belmont, MA.
- Henry Louis Gates: American scholar.
- Pedro De Cordoba: Actor (Club Havana, Swamp Fire), dies at 68.
- Viet Minh-offensive against French bases in Vietnam
- Cleveland Rams (formerly AAFC) play first NFL game, beat Philadelphia Eagles 35-10).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra
- I Love the Guy - Sarah Vaughan
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 September 1950 and get them!