Sunday 1 December 1918
It was Sunday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Kirby Laing and Matelo Ferret.
All Night, directed by Paul Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
while The Amazing Interlude by Mary Roberts Rinehart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 1 December 1918 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Barbes Diena observed
- Feast day of St Eligius
- Romania - Union Day (the national holiday)
- Angola's Pioneers' Day
- World AIDS Day
- Portugal - Restoration of Independence Day: on December 1, 1640, Portugal regains its independence from Spain and Jopo IV of Portugal becomes king.
- Kirby Laing: English contractor / multi-millionaire.
- Matelo Ferret: French gypsy jazz guitarist.
- Albert Goutal: France sport Champion.
- Yugoslavia declares independence; monarchy established
- Serbian-Croatian-Slovic kingdom proclaimed in Belgrade.
- Iceland becomes a sovereign state, yet remains a part of the Danish kingdom.
- Transylvania unites with Romania, following the incorporation of Bessarabia (March 27) and Bukovina (November 28).
- The Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (later known as the Kingdom of Yugoslavia) is proclaimed.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1918 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Oriental - Joseph C. Smith's Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?