Thursday 1 October 1942
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra (see planets position on October 1, 1942). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Günter Walraff and Jean-Pierre Jabouille.
Eyes in the Night, directed by Fred Zinnemann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 October 1942
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1942!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1942 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Günter Walraff
- Jean-Pierre Jabouille: French former racing driver, who was one of the last of a breed of Formula One drivers who were also engineers.
- Günter Wallraff: German writer and undercover journalist.
- Herb Fame: American singer (Peaches & Herb).
- Robert Lelièvre: French singer-songwriter and guitarist (d. 1973).
- David Stancliffe: English bishop and scholar.
- Ants Piip: Estonian lawyer and politician 7th Prime Minister of Estonia (d. 1942).
- Little Golden Books (children books) begins publishing
- Bell P-59 Airacomet fighter, first US jet, makes maiden flight.
- First flight of the Bell XP-59 ''Aircomet''.