Saturday 3 August 1940
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 3, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Martin Sheen and Anne Toth.
The Return of Frank James, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 3 August 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 3 August 1940 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Gamaliel
- Equatorial Guinea - Armed Forces Day
- St. Nicodemus
- Niger - Independence Day
- St. Walthen
- Martin Sheen: American actor in more than a dozen box-office hits, memorable films that included "Gandhi," "Blind Ambition" and "Apocalypse Now," 1979.
- Anne Toth: Canadian astrologer from 1962 and cabalist from 1971-72, also skilled in tarot and metaphysics.
- Lance Alworth: American pro football, nicknamed Bambi, receiver with the most pass-receptions in 1969 playing for the San Diego Chargers.
- John W: Carlin; American politician (Governor-Democrat-Kansas).
- Gerard Alsteens: Belgian cartoon artist known as "Gal.
- Roscoe Mitchell: Composer.
- James Tyler: American guitarist and songwriter (d. 2010).
- Pierre Le Mellec: French road bicycle racer, who competed professionally from 1964 to 1967.
- Joseph Dorfman: Composer.
- Lance Alworth in Houston: Texas, USA; NFL hall of famer (San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys).
- Willard Hershberger: Catcher (Cin Reds), commits suicide.
- German occupiers forbid ritual slaughters and English and French movies
- Italian troops invade British Somalia
- Lithuanian SSR is accepted into USSR
- Seaplane Clare makes 1st British passagiersvlucht to the US
- World War II: Italian forces begin the invasion of British Somaliland.
- The Lithuanian SSR, Latvian SSR (August 5) and Estonian SSR (August 6) are incorporated into the Soviet Union six weeks after their anaxation.