Saturday 3 August 1940
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joseph Dorfman and Lance Alworth in Houston.
The Return of Frank James, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 3 August 1940 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Gamaliel
- Equatorial Guinea - Armed Forces Day
- St. Nicodemus
- Niger - Independence Day
- St. Walthen
- Joseph Dorfman: Composer.
- Lance Alworth in Houston: Texas, USA; NFL hall of famer (San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys).
- John W: Carlin; American politician (Governor-Democrat-Kansas).
- Gerard Alsteens: Belgian cartoon artist known as "Gal.
- Lance Alworth: American pro football, nicknamed Bambi, receiver with the most pass-receptions in 1969 playing for the San Diego Chargers.
- Pierre Le Mellec: French road bicycle racer, who competed professionally from 1964 to 1967.
- Martin Sheen: American actor in more than a dozen box-office hits, memorable films that included "Gandhi," "Blind Ambition" and "Apocalypse Now," 1979. While on the latter, he had a heart attack that was near fatal. He played U.S. president Josiah Bartlet in the award-winning TV series "West Wing," 2000.
- Anne Toth: Canadian astrologer from 1962 and cabalist from 1971-72, also skilled in tarot and metaphysics.
- James Tyler: American guitarist and songwriter (d. 2010)
- Willard Hershberger: Catcher (Cin Reds), commits suicide.
- German occupiers forbid ritual slaughters and English and French movies
- Italian troops invade British Somalia
- Lithuanian SSR is accepted into USSR
- Seaplane Clare makes 1st British passagiersvlucht to the US
- World War II: Italian forces begin the invasion of British Somaliland.
- The Lithuanian SSR, Latvian SSR (August 5) and Estonian SSR (August 6) are incorporated into the Soviet Union six weeks after their anaxation.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 3 August 1940
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?