Tuesday 8 August 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 8, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Denny Moyer and Phil Balsley in Virginia.
The Man They Could Not Hang, directed by Nick Grinde, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Trooping the Colour.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 August 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1939 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Denny Moyer: American boxer who held the world light middleweight title between 1962 and 1963.
- William Alden Hibbard: Composer.
- Phil Balsley in Virginia: USA; country singer (Statler Bros - "Flowers on the Wall").
- Phil Balsley: American singer-songwriter (The Statler Brothers).
- Viorica Viscopoleanu: Romania -- Long jumper (1968 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Alexander Watson: American diplomat United States Ambassador to Peru.