Saturday 19 August 1939
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 19, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ginger Baker and Yves Pietrasanta.
Range War, directed by Lesley Selander, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Major League Baseball on NBC.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 19 August 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1939 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Ginger Baker: English drummer and songwriter (Cream Blind Faith Blues Incorporated and Atomic Rooster).
- Yves Pietrasanta
- Ginger [Peter] Baker: England, United Kingdom -- Drummer (Cream-White Room).
- Miranda Guinness: Countess of Iveagh (d. 2010).
- 37.6 cm rainfall at Tuckerton, New Jersey (state record)
- Hitler, after evaluating the pace of the non-aggression negotiations with the Soviet Union, orders the Kriegsmarine to begin the opening operations for ''Fall Weiss'', the invasion of Poland. The , as well as dozens of u-boats, cast off for their advance positions. According to William L. Shirer, Hitler spends the next few days worrying that the Russians will not come to terms in time for the rest of the invasion plans to unfold as scheduled.