Sunday 27 August 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Thibault Lacan and William Least Heat-Moon.
The Women, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 1939!
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the important events of 27 August 1939 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
- William Least Heat-Moon: American author.
- Thibault Lacan: French noted family member, the second child of famous psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan.
- Jerry Tarr: American track and field champion.
- William Heat-Moon: American historian and author.
- Edward Patten: American singer-songwriter and producer (Gladys Knight & the Pips) (d. 2005).
- Nikola Pilić: Croatian tennis player and coach.
- Erich Warsitz makes 1st jet-propelled flight (in a Heinkel He-178)
- Heinkel He-178 makes 1st manned flight with rocket / jet propulsion
- Nazi Germany demands Danzig and Polish corridor
- Queen Wilhelmina receives German ambassador Grave Zech
- First flight of the turbojet-powered Heinkel He 178, the world's first jet aircraft.
- A Heinkel 178, the first turbojet-powered aircraft, flies for the first time with Captain Erich Warsitz in command.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?