Wednesday 23 August 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on August 23, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Brian C Cook and Charles Wardle.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred L. Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 August 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1939 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Brian C Cook
- Charles Wardle: MP / under Secretary of State British home office.
- Carl Yastrzemski: Athlete.
- Ronald [Ronny] A Casseres: Minister of Dutch Antilles.
- Brian Cook: American entrepreneur, the president of Famous Footwear from 1979-2001.
- Sidney Coe Howard: Playwright (Silver Cord, Pulitzer 1925), dies at 48.
- John Cobb (Britain) drives 365.85 mph (593.48 km/h) at Bonneville Flats
- Molotov-Ribbentrop pact: East Europe divided between Hitler and Stalin
- USSR and Germany sign a non-agression pact
- World War II: Germany and the Soviet Union sign a non-aggression treaty, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In a secret addition to the pact, the Baltic states, Finland, Romania, and Poland are divided between the two nations.