Wednesday 23 August 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Charles Wardle and Ronald [Ronny] A Casseres.
5th Ave Girl, directed by Gregory La Cava, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 23 August 1939 ?
- Astrology - Last day of sun sign Leo in the tropical zodiac
- Swaziland - Umhlanga Day
- Romania - Liberation Day (1944)
- RC Saints - Saint Rose of Lima
- Roman festivals - Vulcanalia
- Charles Wardle: MP / under Secretary of State British home office.
- Ronald [Ronny] A Casseres: Minister of Dutch Antilles.
- Brian Cook: American entrepreneur, the president of Famous Footwear from 1979-2001.
- Sidney Coe Howard: Playwright (Silver Cord, Pulitzer 1925), dies at 48.
- John Cobb (Britain) drives 365.85 mph (593.48 km/h) at Bonneville Flats
- Molotov-Ribbentrop pact: East Europe divided between Hitler and Stalin
- USSR and Germany sign a non-agression pact
- World War II: Germany and the Soviet Union sign a non-aggression treaty, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In a secret addition to the pact, the Baltic states, Finland, Romania, and Poland are divided between the two nations.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 August 1939
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?