Wednesday 30 August 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michel Chevalet and John Peel.
The Women, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 August 1939!
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the important events of 30 August 1939 ?
- International Day of the Disappeared
- Turkey - Victory Day (to commemorate the Battle of Dumlupinar in 1922)
- Peru - Saint Rose of Lima's Day
- Michel Chevalet: French TV journalist, a science reporter seen on science specials and information channels.
- John Peel: English radio host and producer (d. 2004).
- François Maupu: French Catholic clergyman, the Bishop Emeritus of Verdun since 2014.
- Elizabeth Ashley: American actress, young, beautiful and intense when she appeared in her first stage role in "Take Her, She's Mine," 1961-62, for which she won a Tony.
- Elizabeth Ashley [Cole]: Ocala, Florida -- Actress (Coma, Evening Shade).
- Elisabeth Ashley: Ocala Actor.
- 6th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: New York Giants 9, All-Stars 0 (81,456)
- General Reijnders appointed Supreme Commander of Dutch army
- Isoroku Yamamoto appointed Supreme Commander of Japanese fleet
- Poland mobilizes
- New York Yankees' Atley Donald pitches a baseball a record 94.7 mph (152 kph).
- Poland begins a mobilization against Nazi Germany.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?