Thursday 8 August 1940US date format: 8/8/1940, UK date format: 8/8/1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 8, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Just Jaeckin and Dilip Sardesai.
Foreign Correspondent, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 August 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1940 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Just Jaeckin: French film director, best known for...
- Dilip Sardesai: Indian cricketer (d. 2007).
- Dennis Tito: American engineer and businessman...
- Johnny Dodds: American clarinet player and saxophonist...
- 31 German aircrafts shot down over England
- Battle of Britain began as Germany launches air attacks
- The ''Aufbau Ost'' directive is signed by Wilhelm Keitel.
- WWII: Wilhelm Keitel signs the quotAufbau Ostquot directive, which eventually leads to the invasion of the Soviet Union.