Friday 25 August 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Liselot[te JM] Beekmeyer and Ana Ribeiro.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while All This, and Heaven Too by Rachel Field was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 25 August 1939 ?
- Roman festivals - Opiconsivia held in honor of Ops.
- RC Saints - Genesius of Arles, Saint Louis IX of France, Saint Joseph Calasanz
- Uruguay - National Day (independence from Brazil in 1825).
- Philippines - National Heroes' Day.
- Liselot[te JM] Beekmeyer: Actress (Issue Blum).
- Ana Ribeiro: Brazilian astrologer, highly praised among her colleagues, a consultant, teacher, international lecturer and member of AFA.
- John Badham: Luton, England -- Director (Dracula, Short Circuit).
- John Bardon: English actor (d. 2014).
- Babe Siebert: Canadian ice hockey player and coach (d. 1939).
- The United Kingdom and Poland form a military alliance in which the UK promises to defend Poland in case of invasion by a foreign power.
- An Irish Republican Army bomb explodes in the centre of Coventry, England, killing 5 people.
- MGM's classic musical film ''The Wizard of Oz'', based on L. Frank Baum's famous novel, and starring Judy Garland as Dorothy, is released in theaters everywhere.
- Division of Grazing renamed U.S. Grazing Service.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?