Tuesday 29 August 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include William Friedkin and Robert Ferguson.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1939 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- William Friedkin: Chicago, Illinois -- Dir (Exorcist, Cruising, French Connection).
- Robert Ferguson: American athlete, pro football player, he won the Heisman trophy in 1961.
- Bibi Rovère: French jazz bassist (double bass, contrabass, acoustic upright bass).
- Jolán Kleiber-Kontsek: Hungarian discus thrower and shot putter.
- Joel Schumacher: American director producer and screenwriter.
- Chaim Weizmann informs England that Palestine Jews will fight in war.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 29 August 1939
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?