Tuesday 29 August 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joel Schumacher and William Friedkin.
The Women, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while All This, and Heaven Too by Rachel Field was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1939!
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the important events of 29 August 1939 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Joel Schumacher: American director producer and screenwriter.
- William Friedkin: Chicago, Illinois -- Dir (Exorcist, Cruising, French Connection).
- Robert Ferguson: American athlete, pro football player, he won the Heisman trophy in 1961.
- Bibi Rovère: French jazz bassist (double bass, contrabass, acoustic upright bass).
- Jolán Kleiber-Kontsek: Hungarian discus thrower and shot putter.
- Chaim Weizmann informs England that Palestine Jews will fight in war.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?