Thursday 17 August 1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sanders and Ed Sanders.
The Wizard of Oz, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1939 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Sanders : American poet, author, activist and musician, a member of the 60s band The Fugs.
- Ed Sanders: Kansas City Writer.
- Luther Allison: Mayflower, Arkansas -- Rock guitarist (Bad News is Coming).
- Anthony Valentine: English actor (d. 2015).
- The Wizard of Oz movie opens at Loew's Capitol Theater in New York.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 August 1939
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?