Sunday 14 September 1930US date format: 9/14/1930, UK date format: 14/9/1930
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 14, 1930). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include John Gilbert (broadcaster) and Allan Bloom.
Big Boy, directed by Alan Crosland, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1930
On TV people were watching Betty Boop.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 14 September 1930
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1930!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1930 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- John Gilbert (broadcaster)
- John Gilbert: Canadian talk-show host based in Niagara Falls and Toronto, Ontario.
- Allan Bloom: Author (Closing of the American Mind), dies at 62.
- Romola Costantino: Australian pianist and critic (d. 1988).
- Eugene Gordon: American physicist and engineer (d. 2014).
- Detroit Lions (as Portsmouth Spartans) play 1st NFL game, win 13-6
- Nazis gain 107 seats in German election
- National Socialists win 107 seats in the German Parliament (18.3% of all the votes), making them the second largest party.