Sunday August 16, 1903
US date format: 8/16/1903, UK date format: 16/8/1903
Is this your lucky day? Bet on the figures of this date here
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 16, 1903). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Arthur Balfour (Conservative), Pope Pius X was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Cornelis Gorter and de L'Estoile.
The Monster, directed by Georges Méliès, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1903
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 16, 1903?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Tigers play a home game in Toledo Ohio, New York Yankees win 12-8.