Saturday 16 September 1939
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 16, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Breyten Breytenbach and Claude Kroës.
Honeymoon in Bali, directed by Edward H. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 September 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1939 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Breyten Breytenbach: South African-French poet and painter.
- Claude Kroës: French journalist, who wrote for "L'Humanité Dimanche," a French political magazine.
- Ave Pildas: American photographer, artist, graphic designer, and teacher.
- Bill McGill: American basketball player (d. 2014).
- 53rd US Womens Tennis: Alice Marble beats Helen Hull Jacobs (60 810 64)
- 59th US Mens Tennis: Robert L Riggs beats S Welby van Horn (64 62 64)
- New York Yankees clinch their 11th and 4th successive pennant
- A ceasefire ends the undeclared Border War between The Soviet Union (and Mongolian allies) and Japan.