Wednesday 17 April 1940
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Claire Bretécher and Eric Dancer.
Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, directed by Ford Beebe, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while The Nazarene by Sholem Asch was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 April 1940!
Which were the important events of 17 April 1940 ?
- Pope Anicetus (died 166)
- Saint Gerwin of Oudenburg (d. 1117)
- Saint Landricus
- Blessed Radboud of Louvain (d.1142)
- Saint Stephen Harding (d. 1134)
- Claire Bretécher: French artist, a cartoonist and caricaturist whose work has appeared in French publications.
- Eric Dancer: English businessman and politician Lord Lieutenant of Devon.
- Billy Fury: English singer-songwriter and actor (d. 1983).
- John McCririck: English television horse racing pundit.
- Chuck Menville: American animator and screenwriter (d. 1992).
- Anja Silja: German soprano and actress
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?