Sunday 14 April 1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Patricia Bruder in Brooklyn and David Hope.
Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, directed by Ford Beebe, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingwa was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 April 1940!
Which were the important events of 14 April 1940 ?
- Vishu - Harvest festival in Kerala, India.
- N'Ko Alphabet Day - the anniversary of the day the N'Ko alphabet was completed in 1949.
- Tamil New Year - Celebrations for Tamils all over the world.
- New Year Celebrations in parts of India and whole of Sri Lanka.
- Baisakhi - Celebrations in Punjab, India.
- Poila Baisakh - Celebrations in Bengal, India.
- Youth Day in Angola.
- Black Day - Informal celebration day for single people in South Korea.
- 2nd Day Passover (in 2006) - Jewish festival.
- Patricia Bruder in Brooklyn: New York, USA; actress (Ellen - As the World Turns).
- David Hope: Baron Hope of Thornes English archbishop and academic.
- Julie Christie: India-born English actress.
- Richard Thompson: Richard Thompson English physician and academic.
- Allied troops land in Norway
- RCA demonstrated its new electron microscope in Philadelphia
- World War II: Royal Marines land in Namsos, Norway in preparation for a larger force to arrive two days later.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?