Tuesday 23 April 1940US date format: 4/23/1940, UK date format: 23/4/1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus (see birth chart on April 23, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Richard Monaco and Willie Herenton.
My Favorite Wife, directed by Garson Kanin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching NBC News (1940 TV Series).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 April 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 1940!
Which were the important events of 23 April 1940 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
- Willie Herenton: Politician.
- Richard Monaco: United States -- Sci-fi author (Grail...
- Jacques Arvieux: French physician.
- Michael Copps: American Federal Government official.
- Dale Houston: American singer (Dale & Grace) (Born...
- Michael Kadosh: Israeli footballer and manager (d....
- New York Yankees dedicate a plaque to Jacob Rupert.
- The Rhythm Night Club fire at a dance hall in Natchez, Mississippi, kills 198 people.