Friday 17 November 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on November 17, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Auberon Waugh and Marcel Delattre.
Another Thin Man, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 November 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 November 1939!
Which were the important events of 17 November 1939 ?
- Slovakia - Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day commemorating the beginning of the Velvet Revolution in 1989.
- Life Day
- International Students Day
- R.C. Saints - Elisabeth of Hungary; Gregory of Tours; Hilda of Whitby; Hugh of Lincoln
- Also see November 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
Famous Birthdays:17 November
- German U-boat torpedoes passenger ship
- Nine Czech students are executed as a response to anti-Nazi demonstrations prompted by the death of Jan Opletal. In addition, all Czech universities are shut down and over 1200 Czech students sent to concentration camps. Since this event, International Students' Day is celebrated in many countries, especially in the Czech Republic.
- WWII ndash Winter War: Soviet forces attack Finland and reach the Mannerheim Line, starting the war.