Thursday 9 November 1939US date format: 11/9/1939, UK date format: 9/11/1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio (see birth chart on November 9, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Barbara Watterson and Matti Rag Paananen.
Another Thin Man, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 November 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 November 1939!
Which were the important events of 9 November 1939 ?
- Roman Catholicism - Dedication of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Cathedral of the Pope (memorial feast day)
- Also see November 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Cambodia - Independence Day (1953)
- Pakistan - Allama Iqbal Day (1877)
- Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.
- Europe - Inventor's Day - in honor of Hedy Lamarr's birthday
- United States - World Freedom Day, to commenerate the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
- Barbara Watterson: British scientist who is well known as...
- Matti Rag Paananen
- Marco Bellochio
- Marco Bellocchio: Italian film director of short subjects...
- Björn Engholm: German politician, Minister-President of...
- Bryan Davies: Baron Davies of Oldham English academic...
- Matti Paananen: Finnish pro musician; lost a daughter to...
- Alain Giletti: France sport Champion.
- Paul Cameron: American psychologist and academic.
- Dirk Klop: Dutch intelligence lt, shot by German...
- Ninotchka, with Greta Garbo premieres
- Nobel for physics awarded to Ernest O Lawrence (cyclotron)
- Venlo-incident: German Abwehr kills 2 English agents
- WWII: Venlo Incident: Two British agents of SIS are captured by the Germans.