Saturday 11 November 1939, Veteran's Day
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on November 11, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Denise Alexander and Russell Means.
Another Thin Man, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 11 November 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1939!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1939 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Denise Alexander: Actress (Mary McKinnon-Another World).
- Russell Means: Activist.
- Claudia Boyarskikh: USSR -- 5K / 10K cross country (1964 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Abdelmajid Lakhal: Tunisian actor and director (d. 2014).
- Kate Smith first sings Irving Berlin's "God Bless America".