Friday 22 December 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on December 22, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tony Scotti and Wen Ho Lee.
Of Mice and Men, directed by Lewis Milestone, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 22 December 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 22 December 1939 ?
- R.C. Saints - commemoration of Frances Xavier Cabrini
- Spain: the main draw of Spanish National Lottery, where it is a Christmas tradition.
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Capricorn
- In the Northern Hemisphere, the winter solstice occurs on or very close to this date. In the Southern Hemisphere, the summer solstice occurs around this time.
- Also see December 22 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Japan - T?ji (winter solstice)
- Tony Scotti
- Wen Ho Lee: Scientist.
- James Gurley: American guitarist (Big Brother and the Holding Company) (d. 2009).
- Ma Rainey: "Mother of the Blues", US blues singer / composer, dies at 53.
- 99 die in 2nd wreck at Friedrichshafen Germany
- Ma Rainey "Mother of the Blues", American blues singer/composer, dies at age 53.
- 125 die in train wreck at Magdeburg, Germany; 99 die in second wreck at Friedrichshafen, Germany.
- Finnish counter-offensive at Petsamo.