Wednesday 13 December 1939US date format: 12/13/1939, UK date format: 13/12/1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius (see birth chart on December 13, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat).
Famous people born on this day include Clive Brain and Eric Flynn.
Judge Hardy and Son, directed by George B. Seitz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 13 December 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1939 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
Famous Birthdays:13 December
- Battle at La Plata - 3 British cruisers vs. German Graf Spee
- World War II: Battle of the River Plate : Captain Hans Langsdorff of the German Deutschland class cruiser (pocket battleship) Admiral Graf Spee engages with Royal Navy cruisers HMS Exeter, HMS Ajax and HMNZS Achilles.
Birth chart on this day
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1939 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Bluebirds in the Moonlight - Dick Jurgens & His Orchestra
- In an Old Dutch Garden (By an Old Dutch Mill) - Dick Jurgens & His Orchestra
- Tuxedo Junction - Erskine Hawkins & His Orchestra
- Faithful Forever - Glenn Miller & His Orchestra
- All the Things You Are - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra