Monday 4 December 1939
It was Monday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Monique Lang and Michel Sotton.
Destry Rides Again, directed by George Marshall, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 4 December 1939 ?
- Roman festivals - secret ceremonies in honor of Bona Dea
- R.C. Saints - Saint John of Damascus: optional memorial; also Saint Barbara
- Santerfa, Lukumf - Day of Shango
- International Hug Day. See Also: January 21st, National Hugging Day
- Navy Day in India
- Monique Lang: French noted family member, the wife of Jack Lang who is a French politician.
- Michel Sotton: French director of research at the Textile Institute of France.
- Stephen Bosworth: American academic and diplomat United States Ambassador to South Korea (d. 2016).
- Joan Brady: American-English author.
- Freddy Cannon: American singer and guitarist.
- World War II: HMS Nelson is struck by a mine (laid by U-31) off the Scottish coast and is laid up for repairs until August 1940.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1939 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- South of the Border (Down Mexico Way) - Ambrose & His Orchestra vocal Denny Dennis
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?