Thursday 23 January 1930
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Derek Walcott and William R Pogue.
City Girl, directed by F.W. Murnau, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1930
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 January 1930
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 January 1930!
Which were the important events of 23 January 1930 ?
- Pie Day
- The Saddest day of the year is January 23 according to a recent study completed by the Cardiff University in Cardiff, Wales (a part of the Russell Group of British universities). 
- Roman Catholic Church: Feast of Blessed Marianne of Molokai
- Derek Walcott: Saint Lucian poet and playwright.
- William R Pogue
- William Reid Pogue in Okemah: Oklahoma, USA; Colonel US Air Force/astronaut (Skylab 4).
- Ken Errair: singer (Four Freshmen).
- Teresa Zylis-Gara: Polish singer.
- William Pogue: American astronaut, selected by NASA in April 1966.
- WIS-AM (now WOMG) in Columbia SC begins radio transmissions
- George Washington Birthplace National Monument in Virginia is established.
- Clyde Tombaugh photographs planet Pluto.