Thursday 24 October 1929US date format: 10/24/1929, UK date format: 24/10/1929
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on October 24, 1929). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include James Brosnan and George H Crumb.
The Virginian, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 October 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1929!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1929 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- George H Crumb: Charleston, West Virginia -- Composer (Pulitzer 1968-Echoes of Time).
- James Brosnan: Baseball player / writer (Long Season).
- George Crumb in Charleston: West Virginia, USA; composer (Pulitzer Prize 1968 - Echoes of Time).
- Jim Brosnan: American baseball player, a right-handed pitcher with the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago White Sox between 1954 and 1963.
- Eugene Grisanti: American lawyer and CEO in charge of International Flavors and Fragrances.
- C Rogers: American executive and CEO of Equifax, an insurance services and data base venture company.
- Hubert Aquin: Canadian novelist, political activist and editor (Born 1929).
- George Crumb: American composer and educator.
- Rachel Douglas-Home: 27th Baroness Dacre English wife of William Douglas-Home (d. 2012).
- Yordan Radichkov: Bulgarian author and playwright (d. 2004).
- Gustav Ranis: American economist and academic (d. 2013).
- Sos Sargsyan: Armenian actor (d. 2013).
- Peter J Blok: Dutch historian, dies at 74.
- Black Thursday, start of stock market crash, Dow Jones down 12.8%
- First day of New York stock market crash, Black Thursday.
- Song "Happy Days are Here Again" is published in the USA.
- ''Black Thursday'' stock market crash on the New York Stock Exchange.
- October 29 ampndash Wall Street Crash of 1929: Three multi-digit percentage drops wipe out more than $30 billion from the New York Stock Exchange (10 times greater than the annual budget of the federal government).