Monday 28 October 1929
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dody Goodman in Columbus and Marcel Bozzuffi.
The Taming of the Shrew, directed by Sam Taylor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 October 1929!
Which were the important events of 28 October 1929 ?
- St. Anastasia II
- St. Remigius
- Greece - Oxi (No) Day
- Czechoslovakia - gains its independence from Austria-Hungary (1918); Holiday in the Czech Republic, Remembrance Day in Slovakia.
- Also see October 28 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- St. Salvius
- St. Abraham
- R.C. Saints - October 28th is the feast day of the following Roman Catholic Saints: Saint Jude (a.k.a Saint Thaddaeus or "of James")
- St. Eadsin
- St. Simon the Zealot (erroneously a.k.a. "the Canaanite")
- St. John Dat
- St. Anglinus
- St. Ferrutius
- St. Fidelis of Como
- Saint Godwin
- St. Honoratus of Vercelli
- Dody Goodman in Columbus: Ohio, USA; actress (Mary Hartman!, Max Duggan).
- Marcel Bozzuffi: French actor in film, stage and TV, director.
- Georges Ménager: French investigative journalist.
- Mitchell Torok: American country music singer, songwriter, artist, author and guitarist, best known for his 1953 hit, "Caribbean.
- Virginia Held: American philosopher author and academic.
- John Hollander: American poet critic and educator (d. 2013)
- Joan Plowright: Brigg, England -- Actress (Brimstone & Treacle)
- Hermann Ungar: Writer, dies at 36.
- Dow Jones plummets 38.33 pts (13%) to 260.64
- First child born in aircraft, in Miami, Florida, USA.
- Black Monday, a day in the Wall Street Crash of 1929, which also saw major stock market upheaval.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?