Wednesday 25 January 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius (see planets position on January 25, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Angela Thorne and Maurice Paquot.
Honolulu, directed by Edward Buzzell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Vine Street.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 25 January 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 January 1939!
Which were the important events of 25 January 1939 ?
- St. Dwynwen's Day and Patron Saint of Lovers - Welsh celebration of love Dirwnod Santes Dwynwen.
- Tatiana Day, celebrated as the Day of Russian students since 1755, when the Moscow University was founded.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism - Conversion of Saint Paul.
- Christian ecumenism ? Week of Prayer for Christian Unity ends.
- Burns Night - Burns suppers are held in many parts of the world around this date. (Originated in Scotland)
- Winter-Een-Mas - celebration of videogames and the people that play them. Winter-een-mas lasts for a whole week, which is always the very last week in January, the 25th through the 31st.
- Roman Empire - second day of the Sementivae in honour of Ceres and Terra
- Angela Thorne: British actress born in Karachi, India (now Pakistan), to a father who was often away from home with the Indian army.
- Maurice Paquot
- Gabriel Romanus: Swedish politician.
- Giorgio Gaber: Italian actor and songwriter.
- Charles Davidson Dunbar: British military piper (Born 1870).
- Joe Louis knocks out John Henry Lewis in one round for heavyweight boxing title.
- Refik Saydam forms the new government of Turkey. (11 th government)
- Spanish Civil War: Spanish Nationalist troops, aided by Italy, take Barcelona.
- In Paris, French Foreign Minister Georges Bonnet, in response to rumours (which are true) that he is seeking to end the French alliance system in Eastern Europe, gives a speech highlighting his government's commitment to the ''cordon sanitaire''.