Sunday 1 January 1939, NewYear’s Day
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Michele Mercier and John Grundhofer.
The Dawn Patrol, directed by Edmund Goulding, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while My Son, My Son! by Howard Spring was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Down on the Farm.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1939!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1939 ?
- Michele Mercier: French actress.
- John Grundhofer: American accountant and CEO in charge of First Bank System, a bank holding company.
- Michéle Mercier: Nice Actor.
- Michèle Mercier: French actress.
- Phil Read: English motorcycle racer and businessman.
- William Hewlett and David Packard found Hewlett-Packard in the USA.
- Anglo-American trade agreement goes into effect, cutting tariffs in US, England, and Crown Colonies.
- Sydney, Australia, swelters in 45 ?C (113 ?F) heat, a record for the city.
- The Hewlett-Packard Company is founded.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1939 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- You're A Sweet Little Headache - Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (Vocal Martha Tilton)
- Thanks for Everything - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- They Say - Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?