Monday 23 January 1939
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sonny Chiba and Arlene Golonka in Chicago.
Honolulu, directed by Edward Buzzell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Vine Street.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 23 January 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 January 1939!
Which were the important events of 23 January 1939 ?
- Pie Day
- The Saddest day of the year is January 23 according to a recent study completed by the Cardiff University in Cardiff, Wales (a part of the Russell Group of British universities). 
- Roman Catholic Church: Feast of Blessed Marianne of Molokai
- Sonny Chiba: Japanese actor and martial artist.
- Arlene Golonka in Chicago: Illinois, USA; actress (Millie - Mayberry RFD).
- Patrick Giros: French priest who founded in 1981 and then ran the 'Aux captifs, la libération' organisation, a Christian mission for street people.
- Matthias Sindelar: Austrian footballer and manager (d. 1939).
- quotDutch War Scarequot: Admiral Wilhelm Canaris of the ''Abwehr'' leaks misinformation to the effect that Germany plans to invade the Netherlands in February, with the aim of using Dutch air-fields to launch a strategic bombing offensive against Britain. The quotDutch War Scarequot leads to a major change in British policies towards Europe.