Friday 6 January 1939, Epiphany
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Murray Rose and Georgios Babiniotis.
Son of Frankenstein, directed by Rowland V. Lee, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while Escape by Ethel Vance was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Western Cabaret.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 January 1939!
Which were the important events of 6 January 1939 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- Murray Rose: Australian swimmer, the youngest Triple Gold Medal Olympic winner in Melbourne in 1956 and Rome in 1960.
- Georgios Babiniotis: Greek linguist and philologist.
- ''Naturwissenschaften'' publishes evidence that nuclear fission has been achieved by Otto Hahn.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1939 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- You're A Sweet Little Headache - Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (Vocal Martha Tilton)
- Thanks for Everything - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- They Say - Artie Shaw & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?