Monday 16 January 1939US date format: 1/16/1939, UK date format: 16/1/1939
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 16, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean Van Hamme and Marshall Trimble.
Gunga Din, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Television Surveys.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 January 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1939!
Which were the important events of 16 January 1939 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Jean Van Hamme
- Marshall Trimble: American author, singer, community college professor, and Arizona's official state historian.
- Mac Curtis: American singer (d. 2013).
- Ralph Gibson: American photographer.
- Albert Fish: American serial killer (d. 1936).
- Comic strip Superman debuts in the USA.
- The Irish Republican Army (IRA) begins a bombing and sabotage campaign in England.