Thursday 26 July 1956
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dorothy Hamill in Connecticut and Dorothy Hamill.
In UK I'll Be Home by Pat Boone was in the top 5 hits.
Bigger Than Life, directed by Nicholas Ray, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while A Walk On The Wild Side by Nelson Algren was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Armchair Theatre.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 July 1956!
Which were the important events of 26 July 1956 ?
- Dorothy Hamill in Connecticut: USA; ice figure skater (Olympic-gold-1976).
- Dorothy Hamill: American champion figure skater, the winner of an Olympic Gold Medal in 1976.
- Peter Fincham: English screenwriter and producer.
- Tommy Rich: American professional wrestler.
- Tim Tremlett: English cricketer and coach.
- Miguel Bernal Jiminez: Composer, dies at 46.
- Egypt seizes Suez Canal.
- Following the World Bank's refusal to fund building the Aswan High Dam, Egyptian leader Gamal Abdel Nasser nationalizes the Suez Canal sparking international condemnation.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Pat Boone - I'll Be Home
- Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
- All Star Hit Parade (EP) - Various Artists
- I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas / Bluebottle Blues - The Goons
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?