Friday 28 June 1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Muhammad Yunus and Louise Leak.
The Sea Hawk, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 28 June 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 June 1940!
Which were the important events of 28 June 1940 ?
- Feast of St Irenaeus of Lyon
- Vidovdan, Orthodox religious holiday commemorating St. Vitus
- National Handshake Day
- Muhammad Yunus: Bangladeshi banker, economist and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Renato Pagliari: Italian-born British singer in Renee and Renato (d. 2009).
- Louise Leak: American minor artist who choked to death while eating 5/18/1978.
- Karpal Singh: Karpal was a Malaysian lawyer and politician, who had been the Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency of Bukit Gelugor in the state of Penang since 2004.
- Mohammad Yunus: Bangladeshi professor and Nobel Prize winner in 2006 for combining ideas of capitalism with social conscience aid the poor particularly in rural areas of poverty-stricken countries.
- Roderick Wright: Scottish ecclesiastic, ordained a Roman Catholic Bishop 1/15/1991 who resigned amidst a scandal.
- Italo Balbo: Italian aviator and statesman.
- Quiz Kids? premieres on radio.
- Romania cedes Bessarabia (current-day Moldova) to the Soviet Union.
- General Charles de Gaulle is officially recognized by Britain as the quotLeader of all Free Frenchmen, wherever they may be.quot
- WWII: German forces land in Guernsey, marking the start of the 5-year Occupation of the Channel Islands.
- Federal government of the United States reorganisation:
- The Civil Aeronautics Administration is placed under the Department of Commerce.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is placed under the Federal Security Agency.
- The Fish and Wildlife Service is placed under the Department of the Interior.