Friday June 28, 1940
US date format: 6/28/1940, UK date format: 28/6/1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on June 28, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Muhammad Yunus and Louise Leak.
The Sea Hawk, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of June 28, 1940?
- Feast of St Irenaeus of Lyon
- Vidovdan, Orthodox religious holiday commemorating St. Vitus
- National Handshake Day
- Quiz Kids? premieres on radio.
- Romania cedes Bessarabia (current-day Moldova) to the Soviet Union.
- General Charles de Gaulle is officially recognized by Britain as the quotLeader of all Free Frenchmen, wherever they may be.quot
- WWII: German forces land in Guernsey, marking the start of the 5-year Occupation of the Channel Islands.
- See more
- Italo Balbo: Italian aviator and statesman.