Saturday 29 August 1908
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Robert Merle and Jean Michelet.
while The Shuttle by Frances Hodgson Burnett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1908!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1908 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Robert Merle: French author, sci-fi writer, teacher, philologist, also journalist, communist, historian, novelist.
- Jean Michelet: Norwegian officer and industrialist.
- Henri Drieux: Dernay physician.
- New York gives a ticker tape parade to returning US Olympians from London.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1908 ?
Top #7 songs in the USA
- Bye Bye Dearie - Frank Stanley & Henry Burr
- Smarty - Ada Jones & Billy Murray
- La Boheme - Quartetto: Addio, Dolce Svegliare (Farewell, Sweet Love) - Enrico Caruso & Geraldine Farrar & Antonio Scotti & Gina Viafora
- Red Wing Medley - Arthur Pryor's Band
- I Want to Be a Merry, Merry Widow - Ada Jones
- I Want You - Henry Burr
- Il Trovatore - Ai Nostri Monti (Home to Our Mountains) - Enrico Caruso & Louise Homer
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?