Thursday 6 August 1908
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include George Singer and Helen Hull Jacobs.
The Fight for Freedom, directed by D.W. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
while The Barrier by Rex Beach was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1908!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1908 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- George Singer: Composer.
- Helen Hull Jacobs: Berkley, California -- US tennis champ (1932-35).
- James Lees-Milne: Architecural historian.
- Sol Adler: Economist Sinophile.
- Svend Erik Tarp: Composer.
- Georg Hygen: Norwegian botanist. He was professor at the Norwegian College of Agriculture 1951-1976 and wrote several treatises on plants. He was also secretary of the Norwegian Parapsychological Society and wrote popular science books on parapsychology. His father was theologian and dean Johannes Hygen. His brother Johan was also a theologian.
- de Castries: La Bastide d'Engras Writer
- Robert Sonrier: Les Loges-Margueron physician
- Helen Jacobs: American tennis player and commander (d. 1997)
- Will Lee: American actor (d. 1982)
- Lajos Vajda: Hungarian painter and illustrator (d. 1941)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1908 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- When We Are M-A-Double-R-I-E-D - Ada Jones & Billy Murray
- Uncle Josh's Letter from Home - Cal Stewart
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?