Sunday 1 January 1928, NewYear’s Day
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jean Salignon and Ernest R Tidyman.
Sadie Thompson, directed by Raoul Walsh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 January 1928
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1928!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1928 ?
- Ernest R Tidyman: Ohio, United States -- Novelist / screenwriter (French Connection).
- Jean Salignon: France sport Champion.
- Ernest Tidyman: American author and screenwriter (d. 1984).
- Vello Viisimaa: Estonian actor and singer (d. 1991).
- Gerhard Weinberg: German-American historian author and academic.
- 1st US air-conditioned office building opens, San Antonio
- Algemeene Vereeniging Radio Omroep (AVRO) begins broadcasting (Neth)
- First US air-conditioned office building opens, San Antonio, New Mexico.
- Boris Bazhanov defects through Iran. He is the only assistant of Joseph Stalin's secretariat to have defected from the Eastern Bloc.
- Estonia changes its currency from the mark to the kroon.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1928 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Diane (I'm In Heaven When I See You Smile) - Nat Shilkret & The Victor Orchestra
- My Blue Heaven - Don Voorhees & His Orchestra
- The Soldier's Sweetheart - Jimmie Rodgers