Sunday 3 September 1939US date format: 9/3/1939, UK date format: 3/9/1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 3, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jo Ann Castle and Paolo Cirino Pomicino.
The Rains Came, directed by Clarence Brown, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 3 September 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 3 September 1939 ?
- Jo Ann Castle
- Paolo Cirino Pomicino
- Molly Bruce: Canadian mother of two normal kids and...
- Vivi Bach
- Michiel Horn: Canadian professor and historian.
- Pomicino Cirino: Italian physician and ex-neurologist who...
- Jo Castle: American musician entertainer known for...
- Henry Mintzberg: Businessman.
- Britain declares war on Germany. France follows 6 hours later quickly joined by Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada
- German U-boat sinks British passenger ship Athenia
- Great Britain and France declare war on Germany after invasion of Poland
- Yanks beat Red Sox on a forfeit, their 4th forfeit win
- World War II: France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia declare war on Germany after the invasion of Poland, forming the Allies.
- President Franklin Delano Roosevelt advocates neutrality in a Nation-wide radio address.
- British liner in the eastern Atlantic. Of the 1,418 aboard, 98 passengers and 19 crew are killed.
- Canadian Prime Minister Mackenzie King, in English, and Justice Minister Ernest Lapointe, in French, give an international radio address, stating its intentions to declare war against Nazi Germany.