Sunday 3 September 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jo Castle and Pomicino Cirino.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 3 September 1939 ?
- Jo Castle: American musician entertainer known for the honky-tonk, ragtime and jazz piano that she pounded weekly on the long-running Lawrence Welk show.
- Pomicino Cirino: Italian physician and ex-neurologist who went into politics.
- Molly Bruce: Canadian mother of two normal kids and son Cameron, who was born six weeks premature and autistic.
- Michiel Horn: Canadian professor and historian.
- Britain declares war on Germany. France follows 6 hours later quickly joined by Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada
- German U-boat sinks British passenger ship Athenia
- Great Britain and France declare war on Germany after invasion of Poland
- Yanks beat Red Sox on a forfeit, their 4th forfeit win
- World War II: France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia declare war on Germany after the invasion of Poland, forming the Allies.
- President Franklin Delano Roosevelt advocates neutrality in a Nation-wide radio address.
- British liner in the eastern Atlantic. Of the 1,418 aboard, 98 passengers and 19 crew are killed.
- Canadian Prime Minister Mackenzie King, in English, and Justice Minister Ernest Lapointe, in French, give an international radio address, stating its intentions to declare war against Nazi Germany.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?