Thursday September 28, 1939
US date format: 9/28/1939, UK date format: 28/9/1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra (see birth chart on September 28, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Neville Chamberlain (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Elbridge Bryant and Stuart Kauffman.
Inspector Hornleigh on Holiday, directed by Walter Forde, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 28, 1939?
- Feast day of the following RC Saints Leoba
- St. Wenceslas
- French Republican Calendar - Carotte (Carrot) Day, seventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Taiwan - Teacher's Day (Confucius' birthday)
- See more
- Estonia accepts Soviet military bases
- Final broadcast of The Fleischmann Hour was heard on radio
- Soviet-German treaty agree on 4th partition of Poland (WWII) and gives Lithuania to USSR, last Polish troops surrender
- Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union agree on a division of Poland after their invasion during World War II.
- See more
- Felicjan Szopski: Composer, dies at 74.
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial