Saturday 2 September 1939
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 2, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jack Lang and Henri Tachan.
The Rains Came, directed by Clarence Brown, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 2 September 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 2 September 1939 ?
- Mauritius - Ganesh Chaturthi
- Also see September 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Sophia
- Sedan Day (Sedantag) - traditional national German holiday (see Sedan, France) that commemorates Prussia's victory over France in 1870, making the German Empire a reality.
- Transnistria - Independence day, note Transnistria is not an internationally recognized independent state
- Vietnam - National Day (independence from France, 1945)
- Jack Lang: French politician, Minister of Culture, Minister of Education.
- Henri Tachan
- Sam Gooden: Chattanooga, Tennessee -- Rock vocalist (Impressions-Gypsy Woman).
- Lily Tomlin: Actress.
- Claude Windal
- Bronson Thayer: American fiancier and CEO of First Florida Banks, expanding into data processing, acquistions of small banks and S & L's.
- Bobby Purify: Rocker.
- The German-American League for Culture in Cleveland, Ohio, representing 103,000 German-Americans, issues a resolution calling on German people to rise up and defeat Adolf Hitler.
- World War II: following the start of the invasion of Poland the previous day, the Free City of Danzig (now Gdansk, Poland) is annexed by Nazi Germany.
- Spain and Ireland declare their neutrality.