Saturday 9 September 1939
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 9, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carol Tebbs and Jean Le Mauve.
Honeymoon in Bali, directed by Edward H. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 September 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 9 September 1939 ?
- North Korea - Republic Day (1948)
- Eastern Orthodoxy - Synaxis of the Theopatores Joachim and Anna
- California - Admission Day (to commemorate the state's admission to the USA)
- Japan - Chrysanthemum Day (Kiku no Sekku)
- Tajikistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Carol Tebbs: American astrologer, teacher, lecturer and writer.
- Jean Le Mauve: French typographer, editor and writer.
- Bruce Gray: Puerto Rican actor.
- Georges Fleury: French writer and historian.
- Howard P McKeon: (Rep-R-California).
- Arthur Dignam: Australian actor.
- Ron McDole: American football player.
- Reuven Rivlin: Israeli lawyer and politician currently serving as the president-elect of Israel.
- Carlos Ortiz: Puerto Rican boxer.
- Nazi army reaches Warsaw
- WWII: Troops of the Polish Poznan Army under the command of General Kutrzeba open the Battle of the Bzura, the largest and best organized counter-attack mounted by the Polish forces in the campaign of 1939. For the first few days all goes well and the Germans are forced to retreat but quick reaction by mechanized units and the Luftwaffe soon take their toll and the operation bogs down.