Thursday 7 September 1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Stanley David Griggs and S David Griggs in Portland.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while Escape by Ethel Vance was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 7 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 7 September 1939 ?
- Also see September 7 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Brazil - Independence day (from Portugal, 1822)
- Mozambique - Victory Day
- RC Saints - Saint Regina; Saint Evurtius (Heortius), St. Cloud (Clodoald)
- Stanley David Griggs: Portland, Oregon -- Astronaut (STS 51-D, STS 33).
- S David Griggs in Portland: Oregon, USA; astronaut (STS 51D, STS 33).
- Riccardo Del Turco: Italian singer, whose song "Luglio" topped the Italian Hit Parade Singles Chart for two weeks in July 1968, selling over 500,000 copies.
- Latimore : American singer-songwriter and pianist.
- Peter Gill: Welsh actor director and playwright.
- Bruce Gray: Canadian actor
- Kyoka Izumi: Japanese novelist (Born 1873).
- Radio New York Worldwide-WRUL begins radio transmission
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?