Sunday 14 September 1919
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Deryck Victor Cooke and Ulf Aas.
Back to God's Country, directed by David M. Hartford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
while The Arrow of Gold by Joseph Conrad was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1919!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1919 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Deryck Victor Cooke: Composer.
- Ulf Aas: Norwegian illustrator.
- Deryck Cooke: English musicologist and broadcaster (d. 1976).
- Gil Langley: Australian cricketer footballer and politician (d. 2001).
- Olga Lowe: South African-English actress (d. 2013).
- Kay Medford: Actress (Dean Martin Show, To Rome With Love), dies at 65
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1919 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- It's Nobody's Business but My Own - Bert Williams
- Everybody Wants a Key to My Cellar - Bert Williams
- Beautiful Ohio - Fritz Kreisler
- Anything is Nice if it Comes from Dixie - American Quartet
- I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - Helen Clark & George Wilton Ballard
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?