Wednesday 15 January 1919
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Maurice Herzog and John Junor.
Auction of Souls, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
while The Sky Pilot in No Man's Land by Ralph Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 January 1919!
Which were the important events of 15 January 1919 ?
- Kerala in India - Makaravilakku or Makara Sankranthy at Sabarimala.
- Jallikattu in South India.
- United States - Traditionally, Martin Luther King Day.
- North Korea - Korean Alphabet Day.
- Malawi - John Chilembwe Day.
- Roman Catholic Church - Saint Ides, virgin, died January 15, 570.
- Roman Empire - Second day of the Carmentalia in honor of Carmenta.
- Wikipedia Day.
- Maurice Herzog: French politician who was also a mountaineer and alpinist.
- John Junor: Scottish journalist and editor-in-chief of the Sunday Express for 32 years, having previously worked as a columnist there.
- Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht: two of the most prominent socialists in Germany, were tortured and murdered by the Freikorps.
- Karl Liebknecht: German Social Democrat, who, with Rosa Luxemburg and other radicals, founded the Spartakusbund (Spartacus League), a Berlin underground group that became the Communist Party of Germany, dedicated to a socialist revolution.
- 2 million gallons of molasses flood Boston MA, drowning 21
- Semana Tragica (Tragic Week) Bloodbath in Buenos Aires.
- Pianist and statesman Ignace Paderewski becomes first premier of Poland.
- Boston Molasses Disaster: A large molasses tank in Boston, bursts and a wave of molasses rushes through the streets, killing 21 people and injuring 150 others.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1919 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- They'll Be Mighty Proud in Dixie of Their Old Black Joe - Henry Burr & Albert Campbell
- Al Jolson - Tell That to the Marines
- Beautiful Ohio - Prince's Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?